Academy Awards

I have never watched an entire showing of the Academy Awards. Really, who cares about actors patting themselves on the back for their job performance? There is absolutely no sense to it. The only real measure of a film's success is how much money dos it bring in at the box office.

Now, I like a good movie. I watch a bunch on my computer including most of these Academy Award nominees. 3:10 To Yuma... A good Western. No Country For Old Men... I didn't understand the ending.. Juno... An award for a movie about a pregnant teenager??? Gotta wonder...

Did that movie "Duplex" a couple of years ago win anything?? I have no idea but it was really funny. And I see there will be a new Indiana Jones movie. Now that is something to look forward to. Academy Awards are Bullshit.

Videos are the Internet rage. Anyone with a camcorder or webcam can be a producer! You know, some of these are pretty good. Who sent me the video of the stripper doing a magic act?? That was a real gem.

Did you hear about how Microsoft screwed up a Vista update? If you applied the update your computer would reboot and reboot and reboot. and there was no fix other than to restore your system!! Luckily, I am spending most of my time on my Linux box and managed to miss this goodie.

Wubi.... Now what the hell is that? It installs Ubuntu Linux on yout hard drive as a dual boot. If you don't want to keep it you just uninstall it. My only regret is that I setup a pretty smsll partition for Ubuntu on my laptop.Try it! You may become a convert! The next "go round" I have with Vista will be my last.

My cousin Beth has an aging Mac. Now those of you who have known me for a long time know that my early micro's until about '94 were Macs. A day came when Apple came out with a system upgrade and wanted to charge money to upgrade. This was not right. You pay for the OS when you buy the computer and any upgrades should be free. Microsoft has really capitalized on this idea with thert various "editions." There are five editions of Vista. At the bottom you have the "Home Basic" edition targeted at loer memory machines and lacking the "Aero" eye candy. At the top is the "Ultimate" edition requiring at least a 2 GB machine. Now, I am not against matching the OS to the equipment, what I object to is charging for it!! Again, you pay for the OS when you buy the computer!! Mr. Bill Gates is one of the wealthiest men on the planet and he got there by screwing people!!

This is history. Where are we today? First we have invented the Internet allowing almost instant exchange of information. No, Al Gore did not invent the Internet.

Second, we have better choices for our OS. Windows?? Yeh, you'll run lot's of software but the Internet addict will have to run a firewall, anti-virus and anti-spyware software, and pay Mr. Gates for upgrades.

Macintosh (Apple) Now here we get a breath of relief from the mal-ware. Apple does charge for upgrades but at least there are no editions at extra cost. Because Apple made some marketing errors in the early days it is not the "de-facto" standard. The equipment and the OS will cost you more than Windows. Apple seems to have found their niche with the iPod music boxes which is making Mr. Jobs wealthy.

Finally we have Linux, which is what this whole blog is really about. I have played with Linux for years. In the early days it was a curiosity, at best. If you were lucky and fathomed your way through dozens of configuration options you just might have a working keyboard and mouse but forget about a printer. A few years went by and suddenly this strange beast appears called Knoppix. A CD that you could boot, run some useful office type applications, and with a little luck, your printer might work!! Again, these remarks are simply history.

The basic concept of Linux is that it is a free OS. No fee for upgrades, No editions. It has grown up from it's early days and now works just as well as Windows or Mac. Everything works. Because it's free, it comes in several flavours. A good place to start is www.polishlinux.org. Then download a bootable CD and take off!!

I use and recommend Ubuntu. Why? Well first of all, it works on my equipment. I have a broken DVD drive that may be affecting the problem (I really don't know) but Ubuntu installed without problem. Second, take a look at www.distrowatch.com. Ubuntu is ranked high up in popularity. Third, Ubuntu is funded by another very wealthy man. Mr. Mark Shuttleworth is that dude who paid for a vacation in space. He promises to provide the very best free OS and keep it free forever.

Bottom Line...

Zen philosophy.. Change is inevitable,, Live in the present moment..
If a better fruit is in front of my face I should pluck and enjoy..


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Scorecard

New Life For An Old Gadget

March Departs and so does Vista