March

Florida is a great place to be in March. The days are sunny and warm but seldom hot. There are a few cool nights but you just sleep in your robe or pajamas and, for the most part, your heating/AC system is simply turned off. The local outdoor sections at Lowe's, Home Depot, Wal-Mart and independent garden centers are brimming with flowers, seedlings and house plants. The bugs are not yet hatched, so your not swatting at insects and other vermin. The citrus fruit is well into season, but I am still picking and squeezing grapefruit off my tree.

Up north I used to celebrate what I called "leaf day." This was a day in the Spring when the buds on trees sprouted into little leaves. It usually happened in late April. Here in Florida, we simply celebrate good weather year round.

Yesterday (Leap Day) my boom box died. I bought this box about 2 years ago at a yard sale for $7. The CD player was a little flaky but otherwise it worked great. It carried the JVC brand name. It did not completely die, but the LED display burned out making it all but impossible to find a station. Now, while I spend most of my time in front of a computer screen it is the radio that keeps me informed ans entertained throughout the day. Replacing the boom box was every bit as important as having a working computer!

Important as it is a $200 music system is simply not my style. A little shopping showed that a $50 to $70 machine would do all I needed. I settled on a $45 RCA model found at Best Buy. I got the radio home just in time to listen to Kim Komando. Except I didn't listen to Kim Komando, The radio didn't work!!! Best Buy did not question my refund but highway traffic was heavy (i guess because the weather was so nice) and I did experience some road rage in the parking lot during which I exchanged some profanities with an inconsiderate driver. A doubly strange event since (1) electronic devices usually work and (2) Florida drivers are usually polite.

I finally came with a $50 SONY model from Wal-Mart. Seems to be okay but I haven't tried to play a CD yet. Now, while shopping I did listen to Kim on the car radio. Funny thing... Kim is no longer telling listeners to get Vista Home Premium. She only suggests the Vista Ultimate edition. Next funny thing.... Microsoft drops the price of Ultimate Vista. Okay smart people... why do you drop the price on something?? Answer.. it isn't selling at the present price!!!

Google has launched a promising service at sites.google.com. Basically it's a wiki with some nice features. Here's the hitch.. you can't use it with an ordinary email address. You need to buy a domain name. Hmmm... why am I getting this bad feeling. Up until now Google was making all their money via advertising. You will recall that not long ago I discontinued the domain donbirdsall.com. What started off as a $6 a year play toy suddenly changed into a $56 a year thing. Go with caution here.






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Scorecard

New Life For An Old Gadget

March Departs and so does Vista